Salary Range: $63,102 to $84,804
Performs a variety of technical, accounting and administrative work in maintaining Town’s general ledger activity, supporting the development and analysis of the budget, administering General Services Budget, and providing administrative support. Serves as assistant to the Comptroller in the performance of all departmental responsibilities.
Works under the broad guidance and direction of the Comptroller, who outlines departmental policies and procedures, supervises and reviews work, and evaluates performance. Performs regular daily duties independently and is given considerable discretion in exercising judgment,
making decisions and carrying out assigned duties. Refers unusual or unclear policy issues to the Comptroller.
The employee is responsible for his/her own work but, in the absence of the Comptroller, may be expected to provide direction and supervision to other employees in the office.
1. Serves as primary resource person for matters related to general ledger maintenance and financial reporting, and is an integral part of annual audit.
2. Performs accounting duties including making journal entries and maintaining general ledger, verifying the accuracy of all interfaces and production of monthly trial balance. Assists the Comptroller with monthly reconciliation of trial balance amounts with the Treasurer
3. As directed by the Comptroller, maintains computer spread-sheet files and produces periodic reports from either the integrated financial system or the spread-sheet program.
4. Assists in administering the General Services Budget including purchasing and distribution, coordinating bulk purchase of supplies, services, and utilities.
5. Monitors and maintains all contracts and grants; assists departments with submitting financial reports to the various granting authorities.
6. Maintains fixed asset tracking program, coordinating with departments to maintain records accurately. Serves as primary liaison between the Town and its liability insurance provider. Maintains the Town’s insurable asset database and processes claims. Monitors insurance policies to insure accuracy and adequacy of coverage; maintains data base of claims including status of outstanding claims. Prepares bid documents and applications for renewals.
7. Provides assistance to payroll, procurement and accounts payable staff, which may include providing backup for processing. Provides support for integrated computer system. Provides support and training for MUNIS programs to all departments, user groups, and is an internal resource for software issues.
8. Assists departments with financial related aspects of budget preparation, budget analysis and grant management. Performs cost control activities; develops costing models; monitors revenues and expenditures to assure sound fiscal control; assists in the preparation of annual budget.
9. Assists in the development of short and long range financial plans; gathers, interprets, and prepares data for studies, reports and recommendations; coordinates activities with other departments and agencies as needed.
10. Administers and coordinates aspects of the MUNIS system in collaboration with the Information Technology Department.
11. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Desired Minimum Qualifications
Associates Degree in accounting, finance, business or related field plus 5 years of progressively responsible experience in municipal accounting; or any equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelors Degree desired.
Good working knowledge of UMAS accounting system and Mass general laws applicable to purchasing; strong computer skills in various aspects of software. Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and the public; ability to understand and carry our written and oral instructions; ability to work well under pressure while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail; skill in operation of listed tools and equipment. A high degree of organization and the ability to meet specified deadlines are essential.
MCPPO Massachusetts Certified Public Purchasing Official certification or ability to obtain within 12 months.
Tools and Equipment Used
General office equipment including computers with a wide variety of software programs.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment is generally an office setting and the noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
Formal application; rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests may be required.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
For more information and to apply online, please visit:
The Town of Amherst seeks a workforce that reflects the diversity of its community, and strives toward racial equity and environmental sustainability. All are encouraged to apply. AA/EEO.
c/o Marilyn Gordon
P.O. Box 102, Sharon, MA 02067
Phone: +1 (774)222-1391
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com