IMMEDIATE HIRE: TOWN TREASURER, Brookfield, MA (pop 3,600), Responsibilities include the town’s investments, cash management, debt service management, issuance of bonds and administration of payroll, including fringe benefits and related personnel requirements. 32 – 36 hrs/wk, competitive pay and full benefits. Municipal experience required.
Full job description and qualifications are posted on the Town website: brookfieldma.us.
Please submit e-mail cover letter and resume to:
Or mail to:
The Board of Selectmen
c/o 6 Central Street
Brookfield, MA 01506
The Town Treasurer is responsible for the receipt, deposit, investment and disbursement of Town funds. As described in M.G.L. Chapter 41, Sections 35 and 36, the Treasurer is authorized by town meeting to issue debt on behalf of the Town with the approval of the Board of Selectmen. The Treasurer selects, procures and manages the banking services of the Town. Related work in other areas such as preparing the sale of long-term bonds by working with bond counsel and other local officials may be required. The Treasurer is responsible for the administration of personnel policies, payment and records management for town employees. M.G. L. Chapter 41 section 35 requires a treasurer to obtain a fidelity bond within 10 days of appointment and to maintain that bond. The treasurer is expected to obtain certification within three years of hire, if not already certified. Qualified candidate must have municipal experience.
Works under the supervision of the Board of Selectmen in accordance with Massachusetts General Laws, municipal policies, objectives and professional standards.
Assumes accountability for departmental results.
Performs highly responsible functions of a complex nature that require considerable exercise of judgment and initiative, particularly pertaining to the timely investment of funds, the borrowing of money within guidelines established by statute and professional standards, and the timely payment of debts.
Supervises one part-time assistant.
Work is performed under typical office conditions. The Treasurer’s office is small and moderately quiet.
Makes frequent contact with other Town departments, relevant state agencies, banks, bond counsel, and citizens of Brookfield.
Required to attend Town Meetings, occasional meetings of the Board of Selectmen, department head meetings, and other meetings as directed by the Board of Selectmen. Some of these meetings may be held in the evening.
Errors in judgment, of omission, or mistakes in calculations could result in delay and confusion, have legal ramifications, or result in severe financial repercussions.
Essential Functions: (The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment of the position)
1. Receives, takes charge of and accounts for all monies belonging to the town; receives and identifies monies due the town and reports the same to the accountant
2. Maintains a cash book; provides for adequate funds for current obligations (through issuance of long-term or short-term debt); invests the towns funds
3. Upon authorization of the selectmen or accountant, pay out public money
4. Pays over and accounts for salaries and wages, including payroll and personnel deductions; maintains payroll and personnel records; when so appointed, administers unemployment compensation; assures compliance with labor and industry, retirement and insurance laws; monitors compliance with personnel by-laws, union contracts and civil service regulations
5. With selectmen approval, negotiates all borrowing, prepares necessary documents and notes and reports the same to the Director of Accounts
6. Report to the town accountant, or if none, to the advisory committee, the amount of debt and interest due in the next fiscal year when budgets are submitted
7. Maintain custody of stabilization funds, pension reserve funds, trust funds, investments, and other funds not allocated to other agencies
8. Maintain custody of town’s financial documents including insurance policies, fidelity bonds, deeds, etc.
9. Maintain tax title accounts; conduct sales of land; prepare documents to petition for foreclosure
10. Prepare reports including reconciliation of treasurer’s cash, weekly or monthly report of receipts and balances to the accountant, reports of payroll deductions; an annual report; and reports to the Director of Accounts including a quarterly report of reconciliation of treasurer’s cash, and an annual report of cash management achievements.
11. Assists auditors with the annual financial audit and provides audit reports as required;
12. Supervises and directs the work of one part-time assistant;
13. Must attend Treasurer-Collector School, obtain Treasurer certification within three years, and maintain that certification through attendance at annual professional development workshops;
14. Serves as a member of the Capital Improvement Planning Committee, and
15. Must attend all Town Meetings and may be required to attend other meetings.
A Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, or a related field and/or three years of responsible experience in business or financial management is necessary. Experience in municipal cash management, cash flow projections, borrowing, financial analysis and reporting is desirable. A thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of accounting and cash management is required. A working knowledge of computer applications for financial management, as well as appropriate software applications is required. She/he must have an ability to work independently, prepare accurate and timely financial reports and records, and to communicate effectively. Organizational skills and aptitude for numbers and details are essential. An ability to interact with people in person or on the telephone is necessary. An equivalent combination of education and experience in the previously mentioned areas may be considered.
525 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: +1 (781) 489-7511