Town of Dedham, Senior Tax Clerk, Treasurer/Collector’s Office
Full – Time Town Union Position
· High School diploma including courses in office procedures, accounting, and computer systems with at least two years of office experience and dealing with the public or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Working knowledge of office practices and procedures, bookkeeping and accounting.
· Ability to interact tactfully and appropriately with the general public and town departments and assist others in an effective manner. Ability to work with constant interruptions and to complete multiple tasks.
· Skilled with computers and related software applications. Good written and verbal communication and organizational skills. Skill and comfort working with figures. Excellent customer service skills.
· Minimal physical effort is required to perform duties under typical office conditions. Frequently required to sit, speak, hear, and may be required to lift objects weighing up to 30 pounds.
· Vision requirements include the ability to read routine and complex documents and use a computer.
Preferred experience (not essential):
· Experience in municipal government.
· Experience in collections.
· College level accounting and/or finance courses.
· General knowledge of Massachusetts General Laws as it applies to municipal fiscal operations and of local By-laws and rules and regulations is highly desirable.
· Ability to work continuously until 7:00 pm on Wednesday every other week (compensated by early release on the following Friday).
· Responds to requests from the public in person, on the telephone or in writing; responds to complaints and questions from taxpayers; explains tax collection procedures and regulations; assists taxpayers in understanding tax bills and related documents; explains departmental procedures.
· Receives and processes cash and checks in payment of town and department bills; updates file records and computer records.
· Balances all daily cash; prepares daily bank deposits.
· Prepares municipal lien certificates and sewer releases; processes requests by conducting necessary research to determine whether there are taxes, liens, betterments or other monies due the town on the property in question; releases certificates upon completion of research; updates computer system.
· Distributes various licenses and collects related fees.
· Performs administrative, organizational, or support projects and other similar or related duties as required, or as situation dictates.
Salary range: $1,787.25/bi-weekly to $2,196.75/bi-weekly, $23.83/hour to $29.29/hour at Grade: TS1
Submit resume and application to:
Linda Ingram, HR Generalist
Dedham Town Hall
26 Bryant St
Dedham, MA 02026
A complete job description is available upon request.
This opening is an additional position, and open until the position is filled.
525 Washington Street, Wellesley, MA 02482
Phone: +1 (781) 489-7511